We often think the more we do, the better we advance our careers and lives. We constantly give to others and stay busy non-stop. We run from meeting to meeting and can barely think by 2pm.
We eventually feel drained, exhausted, and unappreciated. This translates into
- Unhealthy behaviors – Ever eat the entire cookie bag? Ever gain 20 pounds in 6 months?
- Reactive tendencies – Ever express anger to someone who didn’t deserve it?
- Isolate ourselves – Ever pull away from the things you love because you had no energy for them?
It’s time to stop the madness! Here’s how:
Take short breaks every hour. 1-2 minutes. This will energize you from head to toe. Yes, it’s literally and figuratively that easy.
- Stretch. This opens up your body and allows you to relax. When we’re tense, we get uptight and moody.
- Move your body. This increases your blood flow and circulation. Walk to Starbucks. Stop at the door and turn around. All you really needed was the walk, not the extra caffeine and sugary snack.
- Close your eyes. Your eyes are constantly strained form looking at electronic screens.
Why does this make you a better leader? If you start employing this practice, your team and colleagues and superiors will take notice. You become a role model for better health and increased engagement. Who doesn’t want a better functioning team, ready to be more effective, and leave on time at the end of the day?
This is your time to have the energy, engagement and effectiveness every leader wants. Self-care is the new role model style. Take care of you to have more energy and motivate others.
What are three more things you can do during these very short breaks?
Wishing you an abundant, joyful and prosperous day!
Chief Energy Officer
© Priority Retreats International